QR Code was first introduced in 1994. QR Codes were used by Japanese business Denso Wave to track automobiles and their parts during the process of manufacturing. Fast forward a few decades, and QR codes can be found all over the place.
QR codes are used to download apps, open websites, and make payments at restaurants, shops, and other locations. Scanning QR codes with your phone’s camera and a compatible app is the most common method.
What are QR Codes?
QR codes are abbreviated as “Quick Response Codes.” They are information-storing square-shaped barcodes. Up to 4,000 characters can be stored in a single QR code.
Where are QR Codes Used?
Here are a few examples of how QR codes are being used nowadays.
Payment apps are progressively using QR codes to make it easier to pay merchants. Most places of sale that accept payment through any digital wallet or service will feature a QR code sign at the PoS, which consumers can scan to make a payment easily.
2. Website Links or App Downloads
QR codes are used by major app publishers to encourage consumers to download or share their apps. The process is easy because all the user has to do is scan the code.
The browser will access the app download page or website when it has been scanned.
3. Authentication for WiFi
To connect to your WiFi, you do not need to enter your password; rather, simply scan the QR code and it will connect to your wifi.
4. Personal Information Database
Your personal information, such as your name, address, email address, phone number, and others, can be stored in QR codes. Simply scan the QR code to have access to your database.
How to scan a QR code on Android Phones?
Mobile phones can scan QR codes, however, the method is different for Android and iOS devices. If you have an Android phone, follow these instructions to scan the QR code.
- Go to Google Play Store.
- Search “Google Lens“.
- Download and Install it. (Skip these three steps if you already have it installed).
- Open Google Lens.
- Place the QR code within the square box.
- It will display the URL once it has been scanned.
- Once you click on it, you will be taken to the destination.
These steps can also be used to scan a QR code on an Android tablet. There are a few third-party apps that allow you to scan QR codes with your mobile camera in addition to Google Lens.
Some phones feature a built-in scanner in the camera app, so it’s also worth checking. Smartphones from brands like OnePlus offer this feature in their camera apps.
How to scan a QR code on iPhones?
It’s simpler to scan a QR code on an iPhone than on an Android smartphone or tablet. To scan a QR code on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps.
- Open the camera app on your iPhone.
- Scanning the QR code on the camera screen will display the URL right away.
- Once you click on it, the URL page for your destination will show.
These steps can also be used to scan a QR code on an iPad.
How to scan a QR code on Computers?
Follow these instructions if you want to scan a QR code on your computer:
- Open your browser.
- Search for QR Code scanner in the google search.
- There are various websites available that offer the QR Code scanner tool. You can use your favorite one or you can go for the QRCodeScanner, WebQR, QRCodeGenerator, etc to scan QR codes online on your computer.
- When the page loads, you’ll be asked to provide access to your camera. Do so, and then place the QR code on the front of your webcam.
- The QR code will be scanned and the link will be shown.
- Once you click on it, the destination website will open.